Sunday, May 4, 2008

This Willow is a Champion!

This is an amazing Willow tree! My good friend S.O. told me about it and I had to go check it out!


The small modular building is a class room at Two Rivers Community School in Boone. I think the building helps give a great scale to this HUGE tree.
From this angle you are able to see the height clearly in comparison to the fence posts. Approximately 60 feet is my estimate. Generally willows grow along waterways. I wonder if there was a branch near here when the apple trees and pasture were in use on the farm?
I am always curious of the stories and history these giant old sentinals could tell. When was this last a working farm? Was Archie Carroll road the path to a family farm? Who planted this willow?
I can't wait to go back to see it in full swing, branches draping the ground, blowing, swaying gently in the winds.

Here is a link to a simple drawing technique for rendering a willow form with brush and ink:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=565238303281566198

Watauga County has Three Champion Big Trees!!! This Willow, a Sugar Maple, and a Pitch Pine.

I'd really like to know where the Champion Sugar Maple is located. It was nominated by the Town of Boone. So I suspect it is in the town limits.

Follow this link to see the other Champion tree of Watauga County, the Pitch Pine..... http://heritagetrees.blogspot.com/2008/01/green-valley-pitch-pine-local-champion.html

No comments: